Greenhalgh Castle

One of Garstang's oldest features is Greenhalgh Castle, or at least the remains of it.
Perched on a hill about half a mile away from the town centre this ancient building has many tales to tell.
This page, soon to be updated, will bring together the latest research by local historians on the castle.
 
In the meantime, here is what Wikipedia has to say:
 

Greenhalgh Castle is a castle, now ruined, near the town of Garstang in Lancashire, England, grid reference SD500451.

Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby had the castle built in 1490 to provide defence for his estates around Garstang. The land on which the castle was built is said to be a gift to Stanley from his stepson Henry Tudor for his assistance in defeating Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth Field.

During the English Civil War the castle was garrisoned by James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby in support of Charles I. It was one of the last two Royalist strongholds in Lancashire to succumb following a bitter siege during 1644/45 by Oliver Cromwell's forces. The garrison at Greenhalgh Castle eventually surrendered in May 1645 provisional on their being granted safe conduct to return to their homes unharmed. Thereafter, demolition teams partially destroyed the castle to ensure that it could not be used again for military purposes. Following continued deterioration of the ruins, the only remain of the original four towers is the lower portion of one. Many of the local farmhouses have incorporated the stones from the castle ruins into their buildings.

 
In circa 2002 the Sealed Knot Society held a re=enactment around the site of the castle over a weekend. It was one of the best crowd-pullers in the town for many  a year.
 
For an article about the re-enactment click here.
 
One of the best books on the castle is by the late Ernest Collinson. It is entitled Greenhalgh Castle and the Earls of Derby, and is still available on Amazon. It was published in the 1990s.
 
Click here to return to the welcome page.